Saturday, August 22, 2009

Our Homeschool Journey

Welcome to my blog. Well, I will pretty much welcome myself, as I am the only one here at the moment. :) I vowed this year to start a blog and keep it updated. Considering we started school three weeks ago, I don't think I am doing a very good job. But I am here now, so here is our story.

When my son T was born we quickly discovered we knew nothing about parenting, but we had a belief system about what we wanted our relationship with our kids to be like. This quickly led us towards an attachment parenting philosophy. This was good news for our daughter who was born 2 1/2 years later, because she was a very fussy high needs infant and benefited greatly from our decision. We had lots of friends with similar interests and began to hear about this crazy notion of Homeschooling. I had heard of very religious folks doing this, but never my friendly next door neighbors. We still thought they were crazy, but the idea had been introduced.

When T started Kindergarten I had a Mommy meltdown and started researching Homeschool. I couldn't comprehend sending my little boy away for a whole day to this world I knew nothing about. Ultimately, we did send him to public school and he experienced the good (friends, a great teacher, learned to read) and the bad (a K bully and a bullying "incident"). Things were still going well when due to some unforeseen circumstances we ended up moving to a new state toward the end of the school year. This lead to another round of "researching HS" and yet another decision to send him to public school to finish out Kindergarten.

By the next fall we were comfortably a public school family. We had no doubt about the upcoming school year and excitedly set off to our orientation night for 1st grade. We introduced ourselves to T's teacher and in return she immediately returned the introduction and added "I want you to know I don't want to be just a teacher. I am training to be an administrator. I have ambition." Yes that did not give us a good first impression. I am not sure why she chose to share that with us, but Tyler had a GREAT K teacher in our home state and I never thought there was anything wrong with being "just a teacher." I guess it's like being "just a Mom." It takes a special person to do both.

To be continued.....

No comments: