Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Underestimating Myself

Homeschooling wasn't anything I ever inspired to do. Years ago I would have said it was crazy talk; but as I embraced parenting I also embraced an alternative lifestyle of attachment parenting, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, people calling you crazy and the like. As a part of that life I began to familiarize myself with many things, including homeschooling. As with most things, as I understood and educated myself on the issue it began to make a lot of sense. Well, a lot of sense for other people. I became a supporter of homeschooling, but I still understood that this was not my path.

Of course fast forward a few years and I am now a reluctant homeschooling Mom. Yes, after 2 years I still consider myself reluctant. Sure I like to buy all the curriculum, school supplies and hang out with the kids but overall I would describe myself as a struggling teacher. I do it because I know that for my son, a classroom environment is a non-learning environment.

Today I had a small epiphany. I have been organizing our office and schoolroom and I came across some schoolwork from the previous school year (2008-2009). All of a sudden it dawned on me that I have been homeschooling for 2 years. I successfully schooled my son through the 1st and 2nd grade! Wow, that suddenly just seemed so huge to me. I did that. I did all the work, research, buying, selling, planning, teaching,arguing, listening, day in and day out everything! It's amazing how much clearer things look when you aren't treading water and trying to take a peak.

2 comments:

Nathalie said...

You go, you crazy you!

D., I think you're a terrific person. I envy the patience that you have (don't say you don't have any, I've seen how you deal with things!) and the ability to quietly reflect on what needs to be done.

2 years is a tremendous accomplishment for someone who describes herself as "reluctant." I've never seen you as a reluctant homeschooling mom, myself. It might not be the life that you thought you would lead at this point in time, but you are fully invested and engaged!

Thanks for brightening the text, it's much easier to see.

D said...

Thanks friend! I know I was hating that text so I am playing around with it.